<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 31, 2007




CANCER JOURNAL - DRUGS

In addition to the chemo drugs, there are three drugs for nausea. One of them is very expensive--$400 for three pills--and must cause a lot of grief to those without insurance. The other two are old enough to be available as generics. By using all three I have been able to banish the nausea that chemo is known for. But it did take the third one that is used only as a back-up. For a while yesterday I was reminded of what it felt like to be pregnant, which is almost funny in a 59-year-old woman.

It reminded me of those nine months during which I had also to take three drugs to keep food down, Bendectin being one of them that was subsequently banned out of a fear of birth defects. In the 70s we were still too close to Thalidomide to tolerate much of anything being given to a pregnant woman.

I wonder today whether any of the nausea drugs being given for chemo would be safe during pregnancy. They are Dexamethasone (Decadron), Prochlorperazine (Compazine), and Aprepitant (Emend). Decadron is a steriod and is given as an IV just prior to the chemo drugs, and also as a tablet to use at home.

In any case, they are working. Today I feel fine, normal, actually, which is some kind of miracle in itself considering I have cancer.

Yesterday I was also given Nulasta, an injected drug that helps to rebuild white blood cells after a chemo treatment. It causes bone pain in the first couple of days after receiving it. So far, though, none here.

St. John Maximovich, pray for me!



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>