<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 17, 2005




SUNDAY MASS

Actually, Saturday Vigil Mass. Tonight I went with my daughter to a church she considers especially beautiful. Even my husband tagged along. It's an old church. The old altar is still in place. It appears to be marble and at least two stories high. Figures of saints and angels are an integral part of it. The church itself has the most beautiful stained glass windows around--lots of them. There are two choir lofts, one above the other, and the pipes for the organ are still there, though whether they are working or not I couldn't say since the organ wasn't used. The ceiling is painted with angels, as are the walls in the small areas where there are no windows. Both side altars are still in place, and they are elaborate and beautiful as well. The church is a homily in stone, glass, and paint. Some of the paint is peeling and the floor is worn. I hope this doesn't mean the days of the church are numbered. Once churches like this one are torn down, they will not be rebuilt. Modern church architecture it sure isn't.

When I was a child and the train ran from my hometown into the city, my mother and I used to go by train for a day of shopping. Walking to the business district from the train station brought us past this church, and I always insisted on stopping in for a visit. Back then the church was never locked. I doubt that is true anymore. It's been many years since I was last inside.

A couple renewed their marriage vows right after the gospel. I guess that was what caused father to rush through Mass, because rush he certainly did. He can say the prayers faster than I can. For some reason he was wearing a blue vestment. Navy blue. With gold. Kent State University colors. University of Akron colors. Fourth Sunday of Advent colors?

When he said the Creed, he said "I" instead of "we." It's been discussed for a while now. I didn't know it had been implemented. This is the only place where I've heard it done.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>