<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 31, 2005




TRICK OR TREAT

It's over for another year. We had less goblins this year than in previous years, and the annual event ended half an hour early on my street since there were no more children around, so gradually the neighbors turned out their lights and went inside.

The kids are always cute to watch, especially the littlest ones who haven't quite figured it all out yet.

My husband and I have a long-standing "date" on the front steps on Beggers Night. We sit out there and drink coffee and pass out the candy together. Several of the other neighbors sit outside as well.

The firemen were out in force with the truck, passing out candy. Some of them walked up and down the street passing out candy as well. Some of the kids ran past lighted houses to get to the firetruck. One policeman in uniform was walking with his child. I presume he was off-duty.

The kids were unusually polite this year. Several of them said "Happy Halloween" and nearly every one of them said "thank you." They even stayed on the sidewalk instead of running across the lawn. Nearly every kid had at least one parent in tow. With all the adults around, these kids were about as safe as a kid can be and still live in this 21st century world.

My mother used to tell the story of the very earliest days of kid activity on Halloween...throwing shelled corn on the front porches. Back then it was a prankster's night. That would have been around 1918. I guess some of the outhouses got tipped over. Even when I was young pranks were still being done. Soaped windows at the dark houses were common. My cousins who lived in the country come into town to go out with me. One year one of them had tucked some tomatoes into her trick or treat bag. My dad found them and threw them out before she got to use them.

I'd hate to see Beggers Night come to an end. The kids enjoy it, and I can still remember the fun I had on Beggers Night when young. Do any of you remember THE house that gave out the full-sized Hershey Bars when you were a kid? There was one house in the next block that did, and I always made it a point to get to that house. I hope those folks got time off Purgatory for being extra nice to us back then.

If I remember, next year, I think I'll get the Hershey Bars instead of the usual Trick or Treat candy, just to see how the kids react. It's not very often that you can give someone something that surprises them, and I think the giver gets more satisfaction from it than the receiver. I should make a note on the calendar so I don't forget.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>