<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 30, 2005




THE WORLD'S INDIFFERENCE

Fox News reports Neil Cavuto's question "Where's the global relief effort for us today?" It's a question floating through the back of my thoughts all day as well.

He writes:

New Orleans (search) is under water. Mississippi (search) is a disaster. Scores are dead. Homes are destroyed. Businesses are shut down.

When this kind of stuff happens to other folks, we're there. When this kind of stuff happens to us, who's here?

I know we're a rich country. But I think it a bit rich so few call to wish us well in this country. Perhaps some have and perhaps I've missed it.

Still, others never miss a chance to bash us if we've done something wrong or done nothing at all.

All I know is a lot of poor folks here got hit here. Would it kill the same foreigners we've helped there, to offer support here?

I don't expect a telethon. But how about a call on a telephone?


Wishful thinking, I know. Still, what would it cost the world to offer a word of sympathy?

Though I don't suppose he had thought it through, my husband offered the same cynical, frustrated observation tonight in response to the pictures of New Orleans on the evening news, when he said "It's time to stop helping out everyone else and start taking care of Americans. All those troops in Iraq should be here at home rescuing people who desperately need help. We have to take care of our own for a change."



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>