<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 24, 2005




THE TRIALS OF HOME OWNERSHIP

Last Friday the washer gave up the ghost. Ok, I've had it awhile. This was not unexpected. Since I believe in patronizing the little guy, I buy my appliances at a local small business instead of the big box store. I went down there and picked out a General Electric washer, arranging to have it delivered the next day.

My daughter took delivery on the washer since I had an appointment and couldn't be at home. When the delivery men set it up, they discovered the cord was a few inches too short to reach the plug.

Mind you, the plug hasn't moved, and every other washer I've had plugged in easily, but not this one.

The installers persuaded my daughter to round up an extension cord in the garage, plugged it in with the extension cord, saw that it worked, and left. When my husband got home he took one look at the 15 ft. extension cord and said it's going to burn up the motor. Get them to change the washer cord to one that is long enough.

I called the appliance store and explained the problem. They told me to buy an appliance extension cord to solve it. I called the fire department to see if that was an option. Absolutely not! they told me. Extension cords are only for temporary use. Running an appliance with an extension cord as a permanent solution is a fire hazard. They transferred me to the zoning department who said the same thing. It doesn't meet code.

I called the appliance store. They insisted the extension cord is perfectly safe. They refused to do anything about the problem. I called the owner of the store. His secretary (or whoever she was) said it could easily be fixed. I just needed to have a 6 ft. cord installed on the washer. Then the owner called me back. The owner would not support installing a 6 ft. cord. That would void the warranty. I had to use the extension cord.

I emailed GE who called back and came up with the solution that I should return the washer and buy one with a 6 ft. cord. Changing the cord would void the warranty.

I checked at Sears. They have the same model and could change the cord, but I have to pay for the cord. No problem but they didn't mention the warranty, and I suspect the sales person doesn't really know if it will void the warranty or not.

So five days after I bought a new washer, I still don't have one that works. But I bet some pencil sharpening accountant at General Electric is proud of the cost savings of going to a 4 ft. cord as opposed to one that would actually reach the outlet in an older home built when they installed 6 ft. cords on washers.

S--i--g--h !



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>