<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 25, 2005




I THINK I'VE FIGURED IT OUT...

There is something appealing about Pope Benedict that is uniquely his, that is not a carryover from John Paul II or a preconceived image of the papacy itself. I couldn't put my finger on it until this morning, but this seems to be it. He brings God the Father immediately to mind, while JPII brought to mind God the Son.

It's probably his white hair. But more than that, the picture of him that is emerging is one of absolute clarity on doctrine and truth and a staunch defender of it, while at the same time he is enormously compassionate, and totally lacking in pride and arrogance. He is wise as only someone who has lived long can be wise.

That's the way of a father, more than the way of a son. And so in Pope Benedict I see a loving God the Father leading his children home.

It's inevitable that in the first emotional rush he will be placed on a pedestal. Time will tarnish the pedestal, unfortunately. He is human afterall, and he can't hope to live up to everyone's expectations. Our enthusiasm will be dampened as he settles into the nitty gritty of everyday, and we dislike something he does or says. When that happens, I hope that I can still hold on to this image of compassionate Father that I see in him today.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>