<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 21, 2005




ANOTHER PROBLEM BROUGHT ON BY ECUMENISM

Back in the days prior to Vatican II, Catholics were forbidden to step foot inside a Protestant church. Then came the Council and suddenly we were separated brethren who took part in each other's services.

Back before the Council, the issue of invalid marriage ceremonies did not come up, because the prohibition spelled out above took care of it. That is no longer the case, and no one is talking about the rules--except my pastor, who wrote in yesterday's bulletin:

Sad and Unfortunate

Something got lost here--even with good, practicing Catholics. Catholics are not to participate at the marriage of Catholics which are NOT VALID--meaning not approved by the Church. One's presence at an invalid marriage ceremony is giving their tacit approval of the INVALID situation. This of course is a source of scandal. I know many are doing this. I know it is difficult emotionally. BUT, WHERE DO WE TAKE A STAND? Is there anyone out there?? It is a result of many years of tragic confusion and loss of sense and understanding. As a priest, I have to take the brunt of this reminder. What fun?

I don't recall hearing this before, but it certainly sounds correct. Unfortunately, invalid marriages have become commonplace. I have a family member getting married next month. I assume he is non-practicing since his Catholic parents have converted to the Methodist church. His intended will be entering her third marriage. Fortunately I have a good reason not to attend.

Even before Father put this in the bulletin, I was uncomfortable with the idea of attending the wedding of a Catholic who was entering an invalid marriage, but not really sure if I stood on official ground in refusing to attend. At least this bulletin insert clears that up.

What I'm still wondering, though, is whether attending the reception is acceptable? I'm assuming that it is; but if not, then what about giving a wedding present? If none of this is acceptable, a serious family rift is likely to result. The kind that will be permanent.

Does it matter that the couple involved are non-practicing Catholics? Is refusal to attend still appropriate, or does this only apply to practicing Catholics?

It would certainly help if the Church were teaching this universally, instead of just in my own parish. But I suppose it would fly in the face of ecumenism and so is unlikely to be discussed anytime soon.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?





Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>